[Samba] PANIC running Samba as Domain Controller

William Ross williamrossmbsw at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 14:19:12 UTC 2020

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 09:53, Rowland penny via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> First, Samba should not panic, but I noticed the mention of a Windows
> 2012R2 machine, how is this joined to the domain ? as a DC or a domain
> member ?

The domain controllers are all Samba domain controllers, the 2012 R2
machines are domain members only.

> I think you need to do a bit of work so that Samba can help you, get
> level 10 logs and traces (note you need to add the debug packages)
>
> Rowland

Thanks for the prompt reply. When you say debug packages which do you
mean? I can't see any with 'debug' in the name on the apt.van-belle.nl
repo.

I've enabled level 10 debug logging as per
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Client_specific_logging (though I
didn't configure it per client) and generated a log file of 1GB in 15
minutes. The local shared drive (hosted on a QNAP domain member)
started to become unable to authenticate users (I think due to system
load on the domain controller). I may need to run this for a couple of
days to catch the next PANIC (they are intermittent). Is there any way
I could tweak the config to reduce the load on the domain controller
whilst still getting useful debug information? The precise logging
lines in my smb.conf are:

  log level = 10
  max log size = 0
  logging = syslog at 10 file at 1
  log file = /dev/null
  # add the pid to the log
  debug pid = yes
  # add the uid to the log
  debug uid = yes
  # add the debug class to the log
  debug class = yes
  # add microsecond resolution to timestamp
  debug hires timestamp = yes

(Note that the 'logging' line doesn't appear to work. Regardless of
the number after the @ symbol it logs at the level specified by 'log
level'. The machine doesn't have enough disk space to handle the logs,
so I've set the log file to /dev/null and configured a dedicated
machine to receive them. I was hoping to be able to keep the file
logging at level 1 to provide an easy way to see when the PANICs
happen (given how huge the log file becomes at level 10)).

Will