[Samba] Samba rpms now available from CentOS Storage SIG

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 08:09:49 UTC 2020

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020 at 5:10 AM Anoop C S via samba
<samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2020-08-17 at 07:47 +0100, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> > On 17/08/2020 07:35, Anoop C S via samba wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > This is to announce the availability of Samba(and CTDB) rpms from
> > > Storage SIG[1] on CentOS 7 and 8. Visit Samba's CentOS wiki page[2]
> > > for
> > > more details on installation steps.
> > >
> > > [1] https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Storage
> > > [2] https://wiki.centos.org/SpecialInterestGroup/Storage/Samba
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Anoop C S.
> >
> > Hi Anoop, Are these packages capable of provisioning an AD domain
> > with
> > Heimdal ?
>
> Nope, these are built with system MIT kerberos requirement and does not
> contain bits and pieces to setup Samba as an AD domain controller.
>
> For better clarity I will update wiki page to contain this information.
>
> Thanks,
> Anoop C S.

Then what, precisely, is the point of these non-RHEL supported
updates, rather than using the versions built into the base RHEL and
CentOS?

If you'd like the tools to enable domain controller access. I publish
a set  of them, pdated a few days ago to 4.13.0rc2., at

* https://github.com/nkadel/samba4repo/

I may be a bit fussy about this, but I've gotten a bit tired of having
to keep updating these.