[Samba] Network rebuild advice needed

Luke Barone lukebarone at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 04:52:32 UTC 2020

My first suggestion is to make a list. Let's start here:
1. Backup all user data to an external drive or a backup server that no one
else can touch. You'll need this later. Choose a backup method that allows
snapshots or versioning, so that you can do incremental backups. This step
can likely run at night when usage is low.
2. Choose a date in the (close) future, and give your staff warning that
the network will be going down, save their work by 3:00pm, etc. At this
point, *stop access from all other network sources, except for your SSH.* This
way, you can create a good backup, and the staff know to expect it.
3. Get a moderately new computer that supports virtualization (most likely,
anything from the last 10 years or so would support it). Install a
hypervisor to it (if you're using Linux, you can use Xen or KVM; if you
need something with point-and-click, check out ProxMox). Create a VM,
called "DC-50" (guaranteed that's not a name you have in use ;-) )
4. Get that DC promoted, and transfer all the FSMO roles to it. If roles
won't go willingly, then force it (seize the roles). The Samba Wiki has
great documentation on this.
5. Once you are sure the new DC is running, shut down the first DC, leaving
this new one running. Can computers log in still? New users exist?
Replication with DC3 works? Great!
6. Decommission the first DC, then repeat with DC2. At this point, you
should only have DC3 and DC-50 running as domain controllers, and no file
servers. *This is OK*
7. Create a new VM to act as a file server (if you have the space). If not,
setup your new server to be the file server, and join it *as a member
server* to the domain. Copy all the user data back to this file server.
Setup permissions if they seem wonky (you can script this if you know your
bash commands).
8. Learn to use Group Policy Objects (GPOs) to map network drives, based on
the user group or user name. This way, you have one central location to
change a shared folder or server name, going forward.
9. ???
10. PROFIT