[Samba] getent passwd blank response

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Aug 15 11:55:40 UTC 2020

On 15/08/2020 12:06, Bob Wooden via samba wrote:
> [*] Kerberos authentication
>     [*] Unix authentication
>     [*] Winbind NT/Active Directory authentication
>     [*] Register user sessions in the systemd control group ...
>     [*] Create home directory on login
>
> My backend is "ad".
>
> So, mine is here: "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_winbind.so.2" and
> yours is here:  "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_winbind.so.2". Do I need
> to create a symbolic link between the two? Or are your saying that the
> distro does not incorporate symlinks like those needed on built from
> source installations?

I use Louis's repo mainly on Debian and that is where the .so file is
found, I also checked on a Ubuntu 18.04 domain member and it is in the
same place, what OS are you using ?

You shouldn't need to create any symlinks if you are using packages,
they are only required if you compile Samba into /usr/local/samba or
similar location. When the libnss-winbind, libpam-winbind and
libpam-krb5 packages are installed, they place the .so files etc into
the correct positions, these files are overwritten when the packages are
updated. If you compile Samba yourself into /usr/local/samba and then,
at a later date, compile a new version into the same location, the files
are overwritten, but if you copied the .so files into the required
locations, they wouldn't be replaced if you updated the Samba version,
this is why symlinks are used.

As you are using the 'ad' backend, I assume that your users have a
uidNumber attribute and the Domain Users group has a gidNumber attribute.

Rowland