[Samba] getent passwd blank response

Bob Wooden bob at donelsontrophy.com
Sat Aug 15 11:06:14 UTC 2020

On 8/14/20 3:40 PM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> Hmm, I use Louis's repo and mine is here:
>
> /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_winbind.so.2
>
> Try running 'pam-auth-update' as root, it will show the PAM profiles
> in use, I have:
>
> [*] Kerberos authentication
> [*] Unix authentication
> [*] Winbind NT/Active Directory authentication
> [*] Mount volumes for user
> [*] Create home directory on login
> [*] GNOME Keyring Daemon - Login keyring management
> [*] Inheritable Capabilities Management
>
> Yours may be different, but the important ones are kerberos and winbind
>
> Which winbind backend are you using, the 'ad' or 'rid' ? If the 'ad',
> have you added anything to AD ?
>
> Rowland

Here is mine:

     [*] Kerberos authentication
     [*] Unix authentication
     [*] Winbind NT/Active Directory authentication
     [*] Register user sessions in the systemd control group ...
     [*] Create home directory on login

My backend is "ad".

So, mine is here: "/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_winbind.so.2" and
yours is here:  "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnss_winbind.so.2". Do I need
to create a symbolic link between the two? Or are your saying that the
distro does not incorporate symlinks like those needed on built from
source installations?

--
(Sent from home location.)

Bob Wooden