[Samba] Samba4 syncpassword fails

Julien TEHERY julien.tehery at mediactivegroup.com
Fri Aug 14 07:41:17 UTC 2020

>I just had a look at tranquils code again and I have a possible idea
>about what is going on. The code was written for python2 and needs
>updating to python3

Yes, but as i explained before, we managed to make it work since almost a thousand days in a row 😕

THe ldb cache is initialized with:

samba-tool user syncpasswords --cache-ldb-initialize   --attributes=virtualSSHA,samaccountname,virtualClearTextUTF8 --script=/opt/syncpwd.py --decrypt-samba-gpg

We originally modified a bit the script to retrieve the virtualClearTextUTF8 value of the password, then decode it in base64 , re encode it in md4 and send it to remote LDAP server. This worked like a charm.

Nothing has been modified or updated on the samba main DC exept the fact we tried to join another remote DC which made the synchronization fail.
I dont' kniw what it is talking about when it says " Unable to unmarshall cookie as a ldapControlDirSyncCookie structure"
So there's something wrong on samba side that came with the new DC join for sure.

What is this cookie?