[Samba] Samba DNS fails when queried with nslookup commands

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Aug 13 15:06:19 UTC 2020

This is sufficient.

systemctl disable systemd-resolved
systemctl mask systemd-resolved

And it wont start again.

> @soldc4:~# nslookup soldc4
> Server:         172.16.23.30
> Address:        172.16.23.30#53

nslookup $(hostname -f)
Should work.

> Non-authoritative answer:
> *** Can't find soldc4: No answer
This is a correct reply.

> root at soldc4:~# nslookup soldc4.domain.local
> Server:         172.16.23.30
> Address:        172.16.23.30#53
>
> Name:   soldc4.domain.local
> Address: 172.16.23.30

So its in fqdn correct.

If you want nslookup soldc4 to work, then you need the search line in resolv.conf

> The issue now is since I disabled systemd-resolve it also removed my
> search domain from resolv.conf.
>
> @soldc4:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
> # Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by
> resolvconf(8)
> #     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE
> OVERWRITTEN
> # 127.0.0.53 is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.
> # run "systemd-resolve --status" to see details about the actual
> nameservers.
> nameserver 172.16.23.30
> nameserver 172.16.23.28

rm /etc/resolv.conf
editor /etc/resolv.conf
search domain.local
nameserver 172.16.23.30
nameserver 172.16.23.28

Also one tip here, if you setup resolv.conf manualy
Add :
search domain.local
nameserver 172.16.23.28
nameserver 172.16.23.30

Reboot
Check the dns.
If ok, then change :
search domain.local
nameserver 172.16.23.30
nameserver 172.16.23.28
# Note, ad join DC1 is first, after join, you can switch the nameserver lines.

> Where do I need to add my search domain as I already added to
> my netplan
> config and 50-cloud.init.yaml is the only file to config.
>
>   ls -la /etc/netplan/
> total 12
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 Aug 13 10:03 .
> drwxr-xr-x 113 root root 4096 Aug 13 10:04 ..
> -rw-r--r--   1 root root  584 May 28 19:36 50-cloud-init.yaml
>
> Thanks.

If you config through netplan is/was correct, then and you use systemd-resolved
It should always be correct.

But thats a choice, set resolv.conf manualy or set it in you network config.

Currently, i preffer through systemd-networked its config.  ( on debian )
Ubuntu its default is netplan.

So far,

Greetz,

Louis