[Samba] Using SSSD + AD with Samba seems to require Winbind be running

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 12 14:06:53 UTC 2020

On 12/08/2020 14:45, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Thanks for you replies.
> It might help me understand better why people use/want to use SSSD.

That is one I do not understand either, apart from the GPO option (which
must be limited, GPO's generally do not work on Linux), everything that
sssd does can be done by other means. I for instance use sudo rules from AD.

If you use sssd with Samba, then you need to setup two conf files (with
a lot of duplicate info) and only use a version of Samba < 4.8.0.
Whereas, with Samba, you only have one conf file and can use any version
of Samba.

Rowland