[Samba] User mapping?

Simon Matthews simon.matthews at bluepearlsoftware.com
Fri Aug 7 20:57:43 UTC 2020

On 8/7/20 12:58 PM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 07/08/2020 20:12, Simon Matthews wrote:
>>
>> The client is running CentOS 7:
>>
>> # cat /etc/redhat-release
>> CentOS Linux release 7.8.2003 (Core)
>>
>> After another attempt, I have successfully joined the linux client to
>> the domain:
>>
>> # net rpc join MEMBER  -S raidserver -U root%<password>
>> Using short domain name -- BLUE
>> Joined 'TURQUOISE' to domain 'BLUE'
>>
>> Note that the hostname of the Linux client is actually "H2". Turquoise
>> is a hold over from what it was earlier. "turquoise" resolves on the
>> network:
>>
>> $ ping turquoise
>> PING h2.sj.bps (192.168.254.105) 56(84) bytes of data.
>> 64 bytes from h2.sj.bps (192.168.254.105): icmp_seq=1 ttl=64
>> time=0.264 ms
> I would suggest you stop it resolving if it has gone away.
>>
>> Client config:
>> =========
>>
>> [global]
>>

>>    workgroup = BLUE
>>    password server = raidserver
>>    security = domain
>>    idmap config * : range = 16777216-33554431
>
> This is where your problems start, you do not have enough lines, I
> would expect something like this:
>
>     idmap config * : backend = tdb
>     idmap config * : range = 100000-9999999
>     idmap config BLUE : backend = rid
>     idmap config BLUE : range = 500-99999
>
>> template shell = /bin/false
>>    kerberos method = secrets only
> You do not use kerberos with a PDC
>> winbind use default domain = false
> If you want to remove the domain name 'BLUE\' from users and groups,
> change 'false' to 'yes'
>>
>>    winbind offline logon = true
>>    username map = /etc/samba/usermap.txt    # This file is empty.
>>
>>     server string = Samba Server Version %v
>>
>>     netbios name = TURQUOISE
> If the clients name isn't 'turquoise' remove the above line and let
> Samba set it for you.
>> # client ntlmv2 auth = yes
>>     # ntlm auth = no
>>
>>     interfaces = lo eth1
>>
>>     local master = no
>>     os level = 20
>>     preferred master = no
>>
>>     wins support = no
>
> Might be an idea to replace the above line with 'wins server = <PDC IP>'
>
> Add this line:
>
> client max protocol = NT1
>

>> Config on PDC (raidserver):
>
> Not a lot wrong with the PDC smb.conf
>
> Again, can I stress that it would be a very good idea to upgrade to AD,

Yes, but I have limited resources for IT and the upgrade to AD is
somewhat intrusive to the network (I am thinking of the impact to DNS).

The changes you suggested have worked. Thank you very much.

Simon

> Rowland

Blue Pearl Software, Inc. will collect and process information about you that may be subject to data protection laws. For more information about how we use and disclose your personal information, how we protect your information, our legal basis to use your information, your rights and who you can contact, please refer to the relevant sections of our Privacy note at www.bluepearlsoftware.com/privacypolicy.