[Samba] CTDB question about "shared file system"

Robert Buck robert.buck at som.com
Thu Aug 6 10:55:31 UTC 2020

Very helpful. Thank you, Martin.

I'd like to share the information below with you and solicit your fine
feedback :-)
I provide additional detail in case there is something else you feel
strongly we should consider.

We made some changes last night, let me share those with you.
The error that is repeating itself and causing these failures is:

Takeover run starting
RELEASE_IP 10.200.1.230 failed on node 0, ret=-1
Assigning banning credits to node 0
takeover run failed, ret=-1
ctdb_takeover_run() failed
Takeover run unsuccessful
Node 0 reached 4 banning credits - banning it for 300 seconds
Banning node 0 for 300 seconds
Unassigned IP 10.206.2.124 can be served by this node
Unassigned IP 10.200.1.230 can be served by this node
IP 10.206.2.124 incorrectly on an interface

Last night we truncated the public_addresses file, then everything started
working.

And so we've been rereading the doc on the public addresses file. So it may
be we have gravely misunderstood the *public_addresses* file, we never read
that part of the documentation carefully. The *nodes* file made perfect
sense, and the point we missed is that CTDB is using floating
(unreserved/unused) addresses and assigning them to a SECOND public
interface (aliases). We did not plan a private subnet for the node traffic,
and a separate public subnet for the client traffic.

More on the changes we made last night in a sec... Let me explain our
architecture, for context. Would love some feedback, expressed concerns,
etc.

We have built a geo-distributed SMB file system, it is deployed in AWS,
over four regions globally, internally uses ObjectiveFS as a backend shared
file system and cache, and uses a custom ETCD locking helper (written in
Golang). The instances have only one network interface, private; they do
not have a second interface (possibly our mistake). The existing private
interface is AWS assigned, static, and cannot be reassigned (obviously).

Initial testing of this is promising; leadership election is not
instantaneous as you'd expect, it takes upwards of 5 seconds, b/c etcd is
operating as a geo-distributed fully meshed cluster, and the current leader
could be a continent away, but not bad.

Here is our mistake... The initial *public_addresses* file had identical
addresses as the *nodes* file, containing the private IP addresses assigned
by AWS. Not good, right? The error messages shown, above, were the result.

However, once we truncated the file,

echo '' > /etc/ctdb/public_addresses
ctdb status

Then the CTDB status showed all nodes as healthy:

Number of nodes:2
pnn:0 10.200.1.230     OK
pnn:1 10.206.2.124     OK (THIS NODE)
Generation:1547616286
Size:2
hash:0 lmaster:0
hash:1 lmaster:1
Recovery mode:NORMAL (0)
Recovery master:0

And after these changes the logs simply have these messages periodically:

Disabling takeover runs for 60 seconds
Reenabling takeover runs

*Is this normal?*

(This is a modest test rig mind you, and only one Samba process per region.
In prod it will be several regions, multiple processes, etc.)

Really appreciate your help, Martin. Thank you!

--

BOB BUCK
SENIOR PLATFORM SOFTWARE ENGINEER

SKIDMORE, OWINGS & MERRILL