[Samba] Planning the move to 4.12

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Aug 5 07:02:18 UTC 2020

On 05/08/2020 07:38, Stefan G. Weichinger via samba wrote:
> As some of you may know I run some AD-sites with Samba DCs and DMs.
>
> Currently I use the "maintenance mode" release 4.11.11 (packages from
> Louis ...) and things work fine.
>
> My question:
>
> Is it recommended to move on to 4.12.x and if yes, why and when?

It all depends if you want to stick with a 'maintenance mode' release ;-)

Samba 4.13.0 should be released sometime in September, so, at that
point, 4.12.0 will become the 'maintenance' release.

> We don't lack any features afaik, but I understand that someday 4.11.x
> will not be maintained anymore.
In approx 6 months when 4.14.0 is released.
> And for sure I'd like to know if there are specific things to know or
> steps to follow.

There haven't been any major changes, so probably nothing different from
what you have done previously. I would suggest you read the release
notes here:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba_4.12_Features_added/changed#Samba_4.12.0

There may be something relevant to your domain.

> DCs first? DMs first?

I personally would upgrade the DC's first.

Rowland