[Samba] Time synchronization issues in Samba 4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Aug 4 22:12:45 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-08-04 at 13:08 -0500, Michael Jones via samba wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 1:05 PM Rowland penny via samba <
> samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > On 04/08/2020 18:59, Michael Jones via samba wrote:
> > > I use systemd-timesyncd to sync time with the rest of the
> > > internet.
> >
> > This is not supported by Samba
> >

> Doesn't matter. It syncs the time on my host. Samba can just use the
> time I
> tell it.
>

> You do not seem to have set any external ntp servers.

That is, will ntpd report having good sync (and so serve to clients)
with the only time source being a stratum 10 fudge?

(S)NTP is more than just a 'tell me the time' protocol, and both
clients and servers try hard not provide or accept 'bad' time
estimates.

Andrew Bartlett
--
Andrew Bartlett                       https://samba.org/~abartlet/