[Samba] Ubuntu 18.04 classicupgrade help

Carl Hunter cdhunter2 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 3 23:33:37 UTC 2020

 On Monday, August 3, 2020, 11:40:04 a.m. EDT, Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

 On 03/08/2020 15:39, Carl Hunter via samba wrote:
>  On Monday, August 3, 2020, 03:21:02 a.m. EDT, Rowland penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>

>  On 03/08/2020 00:29, Carl Hunter via samba wrote:
>>

>> Just got back from vacation.  I tried adding those shares and they seem to be working.  I went to the ACL link and followed the instructions to set the permissions in windows.  In the list of shares I see a couple I'm not sure of.  There's an IPC$, netlogon and sysvol share.  Do you know what these are for?  I see a netlogon section and sysvol section in the new smb.conf file.
>> Thanks
>> Carl
> IPC$ is a special share that lists all other shares, 'netlogon' is a
> share normally used for scripts run when a user logs in, Sysvol is the
> share that stores GPO's.
>
> Rowland
>
> Question about the homes section in the smb.conf file.  Now that I have
>          template shell = /bin/bash        template homedir = /home/%U
> in the global section of the smb.conf file do I still need the
> [homes]    read only = No
>
> section any more?
> Thanks
> Carl

Well, yes and no ;-)

Yes, if you want Samba to create the users  home directory for you (the
directory path must exist), for example, if the user 'Carl' connects to
Samba, 'homes' will become 'Carl' and the directory 'Carl' will be
created at /home/Carl

No, if you do not actually want users home directories or want to use a
different share name, 'users' for instance, but, in the latter case, you
will still need a share called 'users' and add a 'path' parameter.

Rowland

I think I'll leave it in as I want samba to create the users home directory.  Thanks.
Next question.  I've got a script that's supposed to run at a user login.  It works for the samba admin account.  I was able to change the permissions in Windows to get a user account to work.  I just tried a second user which I think is part of a different group than the first user and the logon script doesn't seem to run.  Is there a way in Windows (Windows 7 at the moment) to view all Samba AD DC users and groups?  All shared drives are controlled like this right?  No more chmod/chown?
Thanks
Carl