[Samba] how to use root preexec on user share with %U not as root user

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 30 21:14:34 UTC 2020

On 30/04/2020 21:40, Jelle de Jong via samba wrote:

> First logon is I use samba-tool to add the user then I go to an
> Windows 10 Pro domain member system and logon to the machine. The
> \\SAMBA01\users\lgaga folder will not be there.....
It will not be there, samba-tool doesn't have the code to create the
users folder, but when created on Windows, Windows does.

> amba-tool user create lgaga passwd --login-shell /bin/bash
> --given-name "Lady Gaga" --home-drive=H
> --home-directory="\\\SAMBA01\users\lgaga"
>
> Could you or others share (sent) the /path/to/a/script you use because
> when I try to use mine above script the user always is root, and I
> need a smarter script that sets the setfacl correct with Windows ACL
> instead of posix acl.

The problem is, to get it to work correctly, you need to ensure that you
do not change the users homeDirectory attribute (this is what
'--home-directory' sets). Also a 'root preexec' script is obviously run
as 'root', so of course any directories will be created with root
ownership. This means the script needs to change ownership etc.

I have a script that will give you pointers, it isn't really tested, but
you are welcome to a copy.

Rowland