[Samba] samba 4.12.2: WERR_DNS_ERROR_DS_UNAVAILABLE, unable to manage samba DNS

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Apr 29 17:44:38 UTC 2020

On 29/04/2020 17:53, Olaf Dreyer wrote:
> Well, sometimes I  feel really old.....
>
> The last dynamic changes in DNS where made earlier this month,
> probably before I upgraded from 4.11.5 to newer version. With samba
> 4.11.5 DNS administration using samba-tool was working fine.
>
> Do you think this old setup is the reason for the problems?Any way to
> fix it?

If you do have the 2000K dns (and from the data you have posted, it
appears you do), I am surprised you have got this far. Earlier versions
of Samba would allow to joint to a Windows 2003 DC that used the 2000K
dns, but (and I don't know when it changed) later Samba versions wont.

I also do not know any way to fix it, other than to rejoin one of your
old Windows servers (if still available) and upgrade the dns using the
instructions on the page I linked to earlier.

Rowland