[Samba] Samba update cause windows incorrect password

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Apr 28 11:09:13 UTC 2020

On 28/04/2020 11:51, Enrico Morelli via samba wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 12:31:09 +0200
> "L.P.H. van Belle via samba" <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
>> Hai Rowland,
>>
>> Well, its based on that i have here.
>> I run still a mixed setup here. ( 2 different domains )
>>
>> 2 servers 4.1.x as PDC/member on wheezy. (DOMAINA )
>> 4.11.7 as AD-DC's (buster) DOMAINB
>>
>> All my windows clients login through AD-DC. (DOMAINB\username)
>> I use the "Passthrough" auth for the shares on the PDC.
>> (DOMAINA\username) I use GPO's to set the correct domain to pass..
>> And %username% for the usersnames
>>
>> 0 problems here with windows 10 and my "PDC" is set with security =
>> domain.
>>
>> Greetz,
>>
>> Louis

The first thing I would do, start winbind if it isn't already running.

If you run an NT4-style PDC, then any Linux clients need to use
'security = domain' and run winbind, Louis says this is also required on
the PDC, but I am not entirely sure this is correct, I don't remember
doing this.

You only use 'security = ADS' on a Unix computer joined to an AD domain
and adding it to a Unix client joined to an NT4-style domain will not
make it an AD client.

If you only have Windows clients then I suggest you upgrade to AD, which
your Windows 10 machines will work better with.

It is normal to set up a sandboxed network to test the upgrade, this way
you can find and fix any problems before you do it for real on your
production network.

Rowland