[Samba] Samba update cause windows incorrect password

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Apr 28 10:10:16 UTC 2020

On 28/04/2020 10:39, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Sure, i have a suggestion.
>
> security = user ? In samba 4.9.x ?  And using domain logings??
>
> Run man smb.conf
> Search : security =
>
> Read : NOTE ABOUT USERNAME/PASSWORD VALIDATION where you see it.
>
> Then goto : map to guest (G)
> Read that.
>
> Then goto : security (G)
> And read that also.
>
> I think you didnt read the complete changelog between 4.5.x and 4.9.x also ;-)
>
>>> To be able to loing, I've to select Other User, enter username and
>>> password and all works fine. But if I logout and enter the same
>>> password, Windows tells me "Incorrect password".
> If you do that, your typing DOM\username ? Or only "username"
>
> Because, all windows logings now using COMPUTERNAME\username localy.
> So if you enter "username" for the PDC login it passes " COMPUTERNAME\username" to samba most probely.
>
> I hope above helps you a bit, but as far i can see above is only a configuration issue.
> You need to review the config and setup for security=domain.

The OP is running Samba as a PDC, so 'security = user' is probably okay,
but I would remove it entirely and let Samba decide what it should be ;-)

What is missing is 'unix password sync = yes'

If this was a Unix client, then you would need 'security = domain' and
run winbind, but it is a PDC using tdbsam, so you probably don't. I say
this because I haven't run a PDC for sometime and would urge the OP to
upgrade to AD.

Rowland