[Samba] Status of Windows Search Protocol support in Samba?

Mark Rousell mark.rousell at signal100.com
Tue Apr 21 13:42:00 UTC 2020

Noel,

On 21/04/2020 13:40, Noel Power via samba wrote:
> yes and no, there is an initial separation layer built into the server
> implementation, currently only one concrete implementation
> (tracker/sparql). Part of the rational to try use elasticsearch was to
> really see if the separation layer is workable/suitable and to more
> clearly identify parts of the code that could be shared for use by other
> 'backends'
>> (And yes, I realise that creating a plugin infrastructure is even more
>> work than integrating directly with Elasticsearch, Tracker, etc., so I'm
>> just asking how things are. :-) ).
>>
> so currently I am not looking at a plugin infrastructure, I think it is
> a bit early to nail api(s) in stone. I think when the code has
> stabilised and there is more than one real concrete backend implemented
> it might be a more suitable time to think about a plugin infrastructure.

Understood. That all makes sense.

> As you say it's alot of work to get a plugin framework nailed down
> (api(s) etc.) and currently this is just a hobby project for me

Yup, there are many thing that could be useful but where there seems to
be little scope for monetising them. Transparent cross-device search
like this is something that people would tend to take for granted when
it works (as long the client UI is decent) but that they probably aren't
will to pay for.

Ideally, perhaps, this is something that an OS or NAS vendor might be
willing to pay for but, even there, there is little explicit demand for
this type of feature set. In large part I think this is because people
don't know what to ask for. And yet searching NAS contents from clients
is something that people do seem to desire.

Anyway, thank you for all the work you have put into this.

Even simply knowing what state things are at is extremely helpful from
my point of view.

--
Mark Rousell