[Samba] Samba-tool error after update to 4.12.0

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 16 11:04:52 UTC 2020

On 16/04/2020 11:33, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> And if im correct you dont see these anymore.
>> ldb: unable to dlopen /usr/lib64/samba/ldb/local_password.so :
>> /usr/lib64/samba/libsamdb-common-samba4.so: version `SAMBA_4.11.6' not

Even though Andrew says that modules have been removed (what modules ?),
on a self compiled Samba the '.so' files in /usr/lib64 shouldn't be used
if the path is correct.

When you compile Samba yourself, by default everything ends up in
/usr/local/samba. If you then run /usr/local/samba/bin/samba-tool, then
it should use the libs under /usr/local/samba, not the ones under
/usr/lib64/samba. Also, if you have just compiled 4.12.0, it shouldn't
attempt to use libs from 4.11.6

The last time this happened (as far as I can recall) was when the Samba
python time.py was removed, but this was because it wasn't removed from
on disk and Samba still used it, instead of the standard python 'time'
module.

So, if you compile Samba yourself './configure && make && sudo make
install', it will just overwrite what is in /usr/local/samba on a like
for like basis, but anything that no longer gets compiled will not get
removed. However, self compiled Samba shouldn't use Samba modules
outside /usr/local/samba.

Rowland