[Samba] samba recycle - modified files going into repository

rl samba at tux4you.de
Thu Apr 16 08:18:25 UTC 2020

hi to all and i hope, someone can help me.

i did not found an solution, here is my problem/issue.
i setup samba 4.9.5+dfsg-5+deb10u1 (debian10) with vfs recycle.
now:
- i create an file (maybe simple txt), edit, save -> ok
- i open the file again an save -> copy of the file goes to recycle repository
- if i use recycle:versions = Yes, i got Copy # of ... everytime i save the
file
- evertime i save the file, the copy in the repo is updated

my goal is, to use only the recycle, if something was deleted.
did i miss something or is this a feature, a bug an issue ...

here my config:
[global]
        workgroup = BACKOFEN
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        logging = file
        server role = standalone server
        obey pam restrictions = yes
        unix password sync = yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\s*\spassword:* %n\n *password\supdated\ssuccessfully* .
        pam password change = yes
        map to guest = bad user
        usershare allow guests = no
        directory mask = 0750
        create mask = 0750
        force create mode = 750
        force directory mode = 750

[daten]
        comment = daten komplett
        path = /srv/samba/daten/files
        guest ok = no
        read only = no
        writeable = yes
        valid users = @backofen
        write list = @backofen
        # Enable the recycle bin
        #vfs object = acl_xattr recycle
        vfs objects = recycle
        recycle:repository = /srv/samba/daten/papierkorb
        recycle:touch = Yes
        recycle:keeptree = Yes
        recycle:versions = no
        #recycle:versions = Yes