[Samba] maximum ad domain controller unavialability time

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Apr 14 09:25:00 UTC 2020

On 14/04/2020 10:00, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Why would you have a server (DC) that long powered off, it for sure will give delays and less response of the network.
> But you could turn it off as long as you want, once it powers up it will sync the AD again.

Replication is a two way thing, so I wouldn't recommend turning one off
for any length of time. If you turned off a DC for a period of time and,
during this time, users, groups and computers were removed from AD, then
when you turn the DC back on again, you may find them coming back again ;-)

If you are going to turn off a DC for any length of time, I would demote
it first.

Rowland