[Samba] Users' Home Folders - conflicting advice in WiKi

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Sat Apr 11 10:53:59 UTC 2020

On 11.04.2020 12:36, Rowland penny via samba wrote:

>>> That is NOT the users home directory, Windows or Unix, you are
>>> setting the 'profilePath' attribute in the users AD object and
>> Samba
>>> does have the code for that.
>> No, with respect, this is the Home folder - the User profile folder
>> is at the top half of that tab.   I was setting the address in
>> the lower half.  The fact that it is on the 'Profile' tab is a quirk
>> of Microsoft, and has been there since Windows 2000 (or perhaps
>> earlier!)
>>
>> Regards,
>> Roy
>>
> I repeat, this doesn't work for me, not unless the users directory
> already exists. I will do more testing and then update the wiki.
>
> Rowland

I'll also repeat this from my end to make sure it was understood
correctly. The Windows home folder, i.e. the path stored under AD
attribute homeDirectory with the respective drive name under homeDrive,
is indeed created automatically as long as I give ADUC the full path
where to place it. I have only ever used Samba with RSAT for Windows 10,
I can't tell you if this changed from older versions.

Viktor