[Samba] Users' Home Folders - conflicting advice in WiKi

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Apr 11 09:59:36 UTC 2020

On 11/04/2020 10:21, Roy Eastwood wrote:
> On 10/04/2020 19:22 Rowland penny wrote:
>> On 10/04/2020 18:02, Roy Eastwood via samba wrote:
>>> Rowland,
>>>
>>> In the Wiki page "User Home Folders", Section 2.1 "Using Windows ACLs"
>>> correctly describes how to set permissions to allow the Windows
>>> program Active Directory Users and Computers to automatically create the user's home
>>> folder.   But in the next section  "Creating the Home folder for a New User"
>>> 3.1 "Using Windows ACLs", the blue box states that ADUC cannot automatically
>>> create home folders on a 'unix' machine.   Do you literally mean unix?
>>> Certainly on my Linux (Debian) machine it works OK.    Perhaps this boxed
>>> comment needs amendment?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Roy
>>>
>> 'unix' = any version of Unix, Linux is a version of Unix.
>>
>> Are you sure that ADUC is creating the users home directory on your Linux machines ?
> Yes.
>
>> As far as I am aware Samba doesn't have the code to do this and ADUC running on Windows has no ability to do it either.
>>
>> It could be that you have pam_mkhomedir set in your PAM stack and it is this that is creating your users home directories at
> login.
> No, I don't have this because I don't need domain users to log on with SSH to the server.
>
>> Myself and Louis collaborated to write a 'root prexec' script to create the users home directory at Samba connection.
>>
>> To the best of my knowledge, you have to use one or the other method.
>>
>> Rowland
> Just confirmed that pam_mkhomedir is not enabled, created a new user test2 using ADUC.   Set the Home folder on the Profile tab to
> connect H: to \\<server name>\users\test2 and the folder is created on the server.
>
> Regards,
>
> Roy

That is NOT the users home directory, Windows or Unix, you are setting
the 'profilePath' attribute in the users AD object and Samba does have
the code for that.

However, you are quite correct, the wikipage:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders

Does require rewriting, section 2.1, at least, doesn't really have
anything to do with user home directories, it seems to be about user
profiles, which are entirely different.

Rowland