[Samba] Users' Home Folders - conflicting advice in WiKi

Viktor Trojanovic viktor at troja.ch
Sat Apr 11 09:55:38 UTC 2020

On 10.04.2020 22:53, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 10/04/2020 21:25, Alex MacCuish via samba wrote:
>> The way I do it, I create the home folder share on the server and set
>> the required ACLs as in the wiki. Then I fill in the field in the
>> ADUC Pane, Profile Path. Then I click ok. At that point, ADUC should
>> open a connection to the share, create the new folder, set the acl
>> correctly and then change the ownership.
>
> Hang on, that isn't the users home directory, it is the users Windows
> profile.
>
> There are a couple of other attributes possibly in play here:
>
> homeDirectory
>
> unixHomeDirectory
>
> The first is for the path to the Windows home directory, e.g.
> '\\computername\users\username'
>
> The second is for the path to the Unix home directory, e.g.
> '/home/username'

Rowland,

The introduction to the Wiki page found on
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Home_Folders states:

"In the following, the directory containing the home folders are shared
using the users share name. Each user's home directory is created as a
subdirectory on the \\server\users\ share, such as,
\\server\users\user_name. This is the same format used in a Microsoft
Windows environment and requires no additional work to set up."

Frankly, the whole page could probably use some clean-up in terms of
language and terminology but the way it is written now, I understand it
to be an instruction how to create Windows home directories, or Windows
profiles, whatever you wish to call them and the introduction seems to
confirm this. Which means that some of the statements, such as the one
mentioned by Roy, seem out of place. IMO no one visiting this page is
expecting to find information on how to have Samba create Unix home folders.

Having said that, you have shared quite a lot of useful information on
this topic with the list already, why not create a separate Wiki page,
or section at least, that discusses Unix home folders and clean up the
page for Windows home folders?

Viktor