[Samba] Users' Home Folders - conflicting advice in WiKi

Alex MacCuish alex at maccuish.org.uk
Fri Apr 10 20:25:19 UTC 2020

The way I do it, I create the home folder share on the server and set
the required ACLs as in the wiki. Then I fill in the field in the ADUC
Pane, Profile Path. Then I click ok. At that point, ADUC should open a
connection to the share, create the new folder, set the acl correctly
and then change the ownership.

pam_mkhomedir is for when you're logging in say via SSH and unix needs
somewhere to put your dot files. It's not automatically mounted from the
user home share. These are two separate concepts. pam_mkhomedir, as far
as I know, never automatically creates home directories on the server in
the user profile share.