[Samba] autorid broken in samba 4.9?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Apr 9 07:46:27 UTC 2020

On 09/04/2020 08:34, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> Show the servers there smb.conf that might help.
>
> And your using autorid..
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Idmap_config_autorid
>
> Drawbacks: User and group IDs are not equal across Samba domain members.
>
> TC84\administrator:*:1100500:1100513::/home/administrator at TC84
> TC83\administrator:*:1200500:1200513::/home/administrator at TC83
>
> 1200500-1100500 = 100000
>
> idmap config * : rangesize = 100000
>   The default value is 100000 !
>
> So this looks normal.. But i never used autorid so, im sure if im wrong
> Someone will correct me ;-)

Yes that is correct, they should be different across domains, but they
shouldn't change if Samba is upgraded and this is what has happened for
the OP.

I wasn't going to reply on this subject because I do not know enough
about autorid and there doesn't seem to be  any changes to the code that
could cause this. I did hope that one of  the other Samba team members
would chime in.

Perhaps seeing the OP's smb.conf might help and a bit more info, is sssd
running for instance ?

Rowland