[Samba] NBT name resolution

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Apr 9 07:25:58 UTC 2020

( man smb.conf )
      dns proxy (G)

           Specifies that nmbd(8) when acting as a WINS server and finding
           that a NetBIOS name has not been registered, should treat the
           NetBIOS name word-for-word as a DNS name and do a lookup with the
           DNS server for that name on behalf of the name-querying client.

           Note that the maximum length for a NetBIOS name is 15 characters,
           so the DNS name (or DNS alias) can likewise only be 15 characters,
           maximum.

           nmbd spawns a second copy of itself to do the DNS name lookup
           requests, as doing a name lookup is a blocking action.

           Default: dns proxy = yes

And that works fine since i use it also.
And/or add one server that runs as member and has nmbd enabled.

Should work if dns, primary domain and search domains are setup correcty.
Besides that, you also did take NTLM, NTLMv2 or Kerberos changes in account also?

So, setup AD-DC, integrate the DNS and use it, or forward it to an other DNS.
1000 ways to Rome ;-)

Greetz,

Louis