[Samba] How to force Winbind to use port 445 to talk to Windows Active Directory

Raees Khan raees.khan0 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 6 20:09:58 UTC 2020

We have Samba4 installed on CentOS 7.3 and it is integrated with Windows AD for user authentication. Everything is working fine, but we see a lot of Firewall denies on port 139. Upon investigation, I found that Winbindd on my Linux machine is trying to connect to AD on port 139.

I ran

winbind -i -d 3

and noticed that Winbind tries connecting to Windows AD on port 445 as well port 139. I would like to prevent Winbind from using port 139 to connect to DC. I have added 'disable netbios = Yes' in the Global section of my smb.conf but it did not help.

Any help will be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks,