[Samba] errors during samba_dnsupdate

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Apr 6 15:37:29 UTC 2020

On 06/04/2020 16:26, Daniel Betschart via samba wrote:
> I joined a Samba server to a Windows 2003 server. As far as I can see,
> replication works, but sometimes there are errors like this:

Lets expand that error message: WERR_DNS_ERROR_RECORD_ALREADY_EXISTS

Windows_ERRor_DNS_ERROR_the_RECORD_ALREADY_EXISTS

So, yes you can ignore it ;-)

> For the time being, I don't want to change the Windows server, so the
> question arises when exactly should I transfer the FSMO role to the
> Samba server.

Firstly, which FSMO role ? There are seven.

If all the FSMO roles are held by the Windows DC, then you only really
need to transfer them if you are going to demote the Windows DC.

Rowland