[Samba] samba Digest, Vol 208, Issue 5

Rick Hollinbeck rickh-samba at westernwares.com
Sun Apr 5 16:34:45 UTC 2020

> > I'm looking for some general advice.
> >
> > I'm beginning to set up a Raspberry Pi 4 as a SOHO server with Samba on Raspbian Buster.
> >
> > I will be running as a member of an existing Windows AD (JOIN), then allow logging in from
> > Windows and Linux clients.
>
> Do you mean as a Unix domain member or as an AD DC ?
>
> This is a little unclear and you can only run Bind9 & dhcp on a DC.
>
> As far as I am aware, the only place to get a Samba supported version is
> from Louis's repo.
>
> Rowland

Yes, I am setting up a new Samba-based AD DC.
The goal is to eventually transfer the FSMO roles to the Pi and remove my current Windows
2008 servers.

Should I install BIND9 and DHCP first, then install Samba and do the join?

Is Louis's 'how-to' for Ubuntu still the best guide, even for Raspbian?
(The Samba wiki seems out of date.)
I was hoping there was somethiing more specific to Raspbian.

Thanks, Rick