[Samba] Unable to create / copy / delete a file on a SMBv1 only device using Samba 4.12.x

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Apr 5 14:29:29 UTC 2020

On 05/04/2020 15:13, fredbezies via samba wrote:
> On 05/04/2020 12:08, fredbezies via samba wrote:
> [access blocked on old smbv1 only hardware]
>>> I tweaked my /etc/samba/smb.conf to add this in [global] section.
>>>
>>> "server min protocol = CORE
>>> client min protocol = CORE"
>>>
>> Try doing a similar thing, but replace 'min' with 'max' and 'CORE' with
>> 'NT1', you will also have to have SMBv1 installed on the clients.
> I tried it before without any success :(
I forgot to mention, you might also need to add 'ntlm auth = yes'

>> This isn't a good idea really and is only a stop gap, Samba is working
>> to remove SMBv1 entirely.
>>
>> Rowland
> I'm blocked by my ISP which doesn't want to replace SMBv1 in its devices by
> something more up to date.

If your ISP provided  router is anything like mine, it will probably by
using a version of Samba circa 3.0.x (note, I do not use Samba on my
router).

Whatever it is, it will be a GPLv2 version. They do this because they
tend to alter the code and do not want to publish it, they cannot do
this with GPLv3 code. Be interesting to see what they do when there is
nothing to 'talk' to SMBv1 ;-)

Rowland