[Samba] Any advice for installing Samba as an AD server on Raspbian Buster with BIND9 and ISC DHCP?

Rick Hollinbeck rickh-samba at westernwares.com
Sun Apr 5 00:17:49 UTC 2020

I'm looking for some general advice.

I'm beginning to set up a Raspberry Pi 4 as a SOHO server with Samba on Raspbian Buster.

I will be running as a member of an existing Windows AD (JOIN), then allow logging in from
Windows and Linux clients.
(I previously got Samba 4.11 to join my domain successfully using a Ubuntu VM.)

I am also planning to install BIND9 DNS with dynamic updates using BIND9_DLZ.

Also, a DHCP server (ISC-DHCP) that will update samba.

1. What order should I install BIND9, DHCPD and samba? Does it matter?

2. Should I install the standard releases from the Raspbian repository, or is there a better
source (like Louis Van-Belle's website)?

3. Has anyone found or put together a nice Raspbian Samba 'how-to' like the one Louis
wrote for Ubuntu?

4. If anyone has put this together already, do you have any suggestions before I just down
this rabbit hole?

Thanks for any advice!