[Samba] Compile samba github code and flash the build binary to embedded device

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sat Sep 28 14:55:04 UTC 2019

On 28/09/2019 15:39, Hock Leong Ang via samba wrote:
> Hi All,
> May I have some advise on this issue?
> Thank you.
>
> On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 at 10:55, Hock Leong Ang <anghockleong501 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Sir/Madam/Miss,
>>
>> I am a firmware engineer. I would like to implement file sharing between
>> embedded device and android phone/ios phone/windows.
>>
>> I download the samba source code from
>> https://github.com/samba-team/samba/tree/v4-11-stable with version
>> v4-11-stable.
>>
>> I follow the instruction from link :
>> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source to compile.
>>
>> I expected the compilation will produce binary files or equivalent file.
>> But I fail to find it.
>>
>> Question:
>> 1. How to build the binary files or equivalent file that can flash in the
>> embedded device?
>>
>> 2. How to flash in the binary files or equivalent file into the embedded
>> device? Can I do the normal flashing through JTAG tool?
>>
>> 3. How to configure /etc/samba/smb.conf at embedded device? FYI, there is
>> many of embedded devices need to produce.
>>
>> Hope can hear from you soon.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Ang Hock Leong

If you ran './configure' and got something like this: 'configure'
finished successfully (1m2.432s)

Then ran 'make' and got something like this: 'build' finished
successfully (9m3.667s)

Then ran 'make install' and got something like this: 'install' finished
successfully (18.243s)

I would expect to find Samba in /usr/local/samba

Problem for you, you will find all of Samba in /usr/local/samba and this
means the code to produce anything Samba can produce (AD DC, NT4-style
PDC, domain member etc) and it is huge, is this what you are looking for ?

Rowland