[Samba] Browsing shares of a server

Christopher Cox chriscox at endlessnow.com
Fri Sep 27 17:57:02 UTC 2019

On 9/27/19 12:48 PM, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
> On 27/09/2019 18:33, Christopher Cox via samba wrote:
>>
>> I understand the "Function Discovery" side and wsdd (which is fine for
>> local same network discovery somewhat similar to Network
>> Neighborhood). I'm saying that even without that if I browse to just a
>> computer in Windows Explorer, I get to see the shares that I have
>> access to.  I'd like that sort of feature in smbclient (if possible).
>>
>> smbclient's "way" has relied on NT1/SMB1 stuff.  Just wondering if
>> anyone know how to make this work the Windows way.
>>
> That's not what you asked ;-)

Hmmm... I thought I was clear, but maybe not.

> There is extensive work being done on SMBv2/3, I am sure that something
> like wsdd will get folded into the mix, but it won't be for some time.
> Getting the core components working similar to the way SMBv1 works will
> be the emphasis and some form of network browsing will probably come later.

Again, wsdd (WS-DISCOVERY), which is not enabled (and perhaps not really
encouraged by Microsoft) by default on Windows, it's not needed for what
I'm talking about.

Browse to \\computer-name see shares I have access to.  Can't do this
with smbclient.  Prior method of using NT1/SMB1 isn't right for today.
Windows (and MacOS) manage to show browseable shares without SMB1.  I'd
just love to see this somehow in smbclient.