[Samba] Browsing shares of a server

Christopher Cox chriscox at endlessnow.com
Fri Sep 27 15:19:44 UTC 2019

With the removal of SMB1 (by default) and everywhere (e.g. Windows), I
noticed that when I open up a computer (\\computer-name) I can see the
shares that I have access to... that is, from a Windows Explorer (in my
case Win10).  Is there any way to get something like this working using
smbclient without SMB1?

All this is without (AFAIK) enabling the Function Discovery stuff.  How
does Windows do it?

It was easy with SMB1, how does Windows (and MacOS for that matter)
discover shares that are available without explicitly specifying the
share name that are available for a host?  And of course, is there
anyway that "protocol" could be handled somehow in smbclient?