[Samba] access to share with dns alias hostname

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 26 09:54:07 UTC 2019

On 26/09/2019 10:25, L.P.H. van Belle via samba wrote:
> For this to work
>
> Below shows a A on the old hostname, correct ?
> With the "netbios alias" used in samba.
>
> Setup like this :
> The new server..
> hostname => DNS A
> IP	   => DNS PTR
> Netbios Alias    => CNAME OLDSERVERNAME
>
> And try again.
> Remove the A/PTR of the old hostname also.
> Only a CNAME is sufficient..
>
> Note, the new server MUST have A and PTR setup.
Will this work ? what about the kerberos ticket ?

> optional, set dns proxy = yes in smb.conf

If unset, that is the default, but it is an 'nmbd' thing and I am not
sure if 'nbt' on a DC has the required code.

It sounds to me that the OP has classicupgraded an NT4-style domain to
an AD domain. If so, then unless he has modified the smb.conf, the old
machine will still be running as a PDC.

I think he needs to give us more info.

Starting with the smb.conf from the new AD DC and the old PDC.

Rowland