[Samba] access to share with dns alias hostname

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Thu Sep 26 09:25:52 UTC 2019

For this to work

Below shows a A on the old hostname, correct ?
With the "netbios alias" used in samba.

Setup like this :
The new server..
hostname => DNS A
IP	   => DNS PTR
Netbios Alias    => CNAME OLDSERVERNAME

And try again.
Remove the A/PTR of the old hostname also.
Only a CNAME is sufficient..

Note, the new server MUST have A and PTR setup.

optional, set dns proxy = yes in smb.conf

Greetz,

Louis