[Samba] 'samba-tool testparm --section' bugs?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 24 18:41:44 UTC 2019

On 24/09/2019 19:20, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> G'Day Rowland,
>
> Regardless of the use case, both tools should parse the file quite
> successfully.  The only exceptions I'm aware of are:
>   - the 'registry' configuration, which is only known about by
> 'testparm'.
>   - include statements that use % modifiers.  Again, these only work in
> the file server and so are only known about by testparm.
>
> Otherwise, if there is a behaviour difference it is a bug that should
> be fixed.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Andrew Bartlett

Good Evening Andrew,

Yes both tools should parse the smb.conf, but it is a matter of horses
for courses ;-)

If you use just 'testparm' on a DC, you will get a different result than
if you use 'samba-tool testparm'.

If you use 'samba-tool testparm' on a Unix domain member, it throws an
exception.

Yes, this probably is a bug, it probably should print something like 'Do
not use most of the samba-tool subcommands on a Unix domain member'

Easiest way out of this (well for me anyway, seeing as I cannot seem to
get patches into Samba), advise users to use samba-tool only on a DC.

Rowland