[Samba] bind-dns Folder Missing for Samba4 Setup in Ubuntu

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Sun Sep 22 07:59:11 UTC 2019

On 22/09/2019 01:08, Christopher Wooley via samba wrote:
> I am trying to setup samba to use the bind9 backend, but a folder is
> missing in Samba, according to the WIKI page. This seems to be consistent,
> as there are several files and folders that are not where they should be,
> according to the wiki:
> https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/BIND9_DLZ_DNS_Back_End
>
> That page says there should be a folder at /usr/local/samba/bind-dns, but
> it's not there. I've searched the entire root directory, but the bind-dns
> folder doesn't exist. Anyone know where it is in Ubuntu and can you explain
> its purpose?

Have you compiled Samba yourself ?

If not, it should be wherever your distro puts Samba e.g. /var/lib/samba
on Debian based distros.

The 'bind-dns' directory will not exist until one of these three things
happen:

You provision Samba with the '--dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ' option

You join a DC with the '--dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ' option

you upgrade to Bind9 with 'samba_upgradedns' and the
'--dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ' option

Rowland