[Samba] Samba 3.6.23, Windows Server 2012 R2 AD Environment

Bob Wyatt bwyatt_sub at comcast.net
Sat Sep 21 00:56:31 UTC 2019

I know it's an old release, and my apologies for wasting anyone's time.

I've been asked about an older version of AIX 7.1 with Samba 3.6.23
installed.

The requestor is moving to a Windows Server 2012 R2 domain.

They want AIX/Samba 3.6.23 to be a domain member, using the 2012 R2 AD to
authenticate users to access Samba shares on the AIX server.

This is the way it's working today at a 2003 functional level.

Will 3.6.23 work this way with 2012 R2, or is an upgrade into the 4.X family
mandated?

The requestor is upgrade-wary, so if they can stay at 3.6.23, that's the way
they want to go.

Thank you in advance for any guidance offered!

Bob Wyatt