[Samba] Windows10+samba share: The remote computer isn’t responding to connections on port 445

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Sep 18 14:41:15 UTC 2019

On 18/09/2019 14:53, Yanni via samba wrote:
> Hello everyone
>
> I am having an issue with one particular windows 10 PC not being able
> to map a samba share. When I map the network drive:*\\hostname\share*
> the window prompt to login pops up. I enter the correct username and
> password and after a minute I get this error:
>
> *The network path was not found. 0x80070035*. Looking at the windows
> 10 logs, I can see this message:
>
> *file and print sharing resource is online but isn't responding to
> connection attempts.* Also under the "detail information" tab I can see:
>
> *The remote computer isn’t responding to connections on port 445,
> possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, or because it
> might be temporarily unavailable. Windows couldn’t find any problems
> with the firewall on your computer*
>
> Many other Windows10 computers on the same network can connect to this
> /share/ with no problems, so that means there are no issues on the
> samba server about port 445 or firewall and security settings. This is
> what I checked/tried so far:
>
> - Hostname of windows10 PC is 9 characters long.
>
> - Network security: LAN manager authentication level is set to : use
> NTLv2 session security if negotiated.
>
> - SMB port 445 on the samba server is listening.
>
> - /greped/ the samba logs for the ip address of the win10 PC but
> nothing is logged in relation to it.
>
> - SMBv1 protocol is ticked on win10 PC.
>
> Could you please let me know if there anything else, I could try? It
> is strange that all other windows 10 PCs do not have this problem and
> I did not have to touch security policies or change anything on them.
>
> Many thanks

So, you have numerous Win 10 computers and a Samba share, but only one
Win 10 computer is having a problem. At a guess, I wouldn't think this
is a Samba problem, but that there is something wrong with the
particular Win 10 computer. Is it running the same version of Win 10 as
the others ? is it setup the same as the others ?

If everything appears to be the same, then you need to check what
updates are installed (are they all the same ?). You may have to dive
into the registry.

Rowland