[Samba] Change in behaviour for the "%U" substitution in 4.10.8?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Sep 17 14:03:30 UTC 2019

On 17/09/2019 14:40, gac via samba wrote:
> I downgraded the packages to 4.10.7
>
> The issue is fixed; the two shares I use which contain %U in their paths are now working correctly using the same Windows 7 client logged in as the same user that breaks on 4.10.8. I realise 4.10.7->4.10.8 was a very small changeset but it really seems like some behaviour has changed there...
>
> I obviously don't have any error logs (since there is no longer an error) but if there are any debug level logs which I can turn on to help troubleshoot this by getting the correct "canonicalize_connect_path" output then please let me know and I can turn them on

Problem is, Samba 4.10.8 works for me with '%U' ;-)

with these lines in smb.conf:

     idmap config SAMDOM : backend = ad
     idmap config SAMDOM : schema_mode = rfc2307
     idmap config SAMDOM : range = 10000-999999

     template homedir = /home/%U

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    read only = No
    create mask = 700
    directory mask = 700

I can log in to the computer and I can also connect via Samba to a users
share.

Yes, I know the above lines use the 'ad' backend, but I have no reason
to think that 'rid' wouldn't also work.

Rowland