[Samba] Is the smbldap-tools package no longer maintained?

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Sep 13 17:47:32 UTC 2019

On 13/09/2019 18:30, Christopher Sean Hilton via samba wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 13, 2019 at 03:39:44PM +0100, Rowland penny via samba wrote:
>> On 13/09/2019 15:34, Marco Gaiarin via samba wrote:
>>> Mandi! Rowland penny via samba
>>>     In chel di` si favelave...

>>> Ok, but GNA is closed, now, and this has commits (seems imported from
>>> GNA) until 2016...
>>>
>> That is three years ago and all it would take is for Perl to do what Python
>> did and release a new version. This could irretrievably break
>> smbldap-tools.
>>
> Thanks for the help everyone.
>
> It looks like the 0.9.11 tarball that I have in my cache is the last
> ever published version. I may pull fumiyas' git repo in and publish a
> branch/pull request/whatever for historical reason but it looks like
> the project is no longer maintained because it's been superceded by
> something better.
>
> For me, I'm not using AD domains because I'm mostly not using
> Windows. My network is OS X and Unix with some Samba to share printers
> and make things that want very old style CIFS shares (media players,
> etc) work. However, I do know LDAP so I was using smbldap-tools to
> create a unified login for my users e.g. your "Windows password" was
> also your email password and your DAV share password... I'll try out
> the new hotness as some point to see what it's about.
>

> Thank you again!

You don't have to use windows to use Samba AD, it works well with Unix
and it easier to provision than it is to set up an NT4-style domain.

You don't have to install and configure ldap, but you do get an ldap server.

You get kerberos.

You get a DNS server.

It works well with Unix and more importantly, it is in active
development ;-)

Try it, you might actually like it.

Typed on my Unix domain member.

Rowland