[Samba] inconsistent directory locations for dns.keytab

gabben gabbenx at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 14:48:19 UTC 2019

Hello,

FYI note here...

I’ve done several AD-DC installs recently using Louis’s packages on Ubuntu Bionic. I’ve seen this with 4.10.5 - 4.10.8 packages

I noticed that the initial install puts dns.keytab in /var/lib/samba/private/

Then this command: samba_upgradedns --dns-backend=BIND9_DLZ will place a new dns.keytab file in /var/lib/samba/bind-dns

The documentation on the samba wiki, and the documentation included in the samba installation is inconsistent on the actual intent for the location of this file.

Small detail, but costs admins time, sometimes a lot of time in my case. :)

Thanks