[Samba] Questions about samba upgrade

Rowland penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Sep 12 11:14:51 UTC 2019

On 12/09/2019 11:56, Trenta sis via samba wrote:
> Hi Rowland,
>
> Recently I have upgraded a single server 4.4.5 to 4.10.7 with in-place
> method and all seems to works fine.
>
> Can you give detail what are this advantages to upgrade with rejoins
> about database, performance (index recreated?), stability, dbcheck...
> what are the realadvantages and disadvantages to evaluate in our case
> what is the best method
In your instance, as you now have a fairly recent version of Samba on
your second DC, you will already have all the benefits of the latest
index and database improvements.

> To rejoin I think with this steps:
> - fsmo transfer
> - demote dc1
> - delete old folder samba on dc1
> - join dc1 with smae parameters used to join dc2 to 4.4.5
>
> Correct?

I would transfer the FSMO roles to the second DC, then demote DC1,
remove the existing Samba packages and clean up anything 'Samba' left.
Install the new Samba packages (this should recreate the Samba
directories) and then join to the domain as a DC, as you did for DC2.

The other way to do this would be to transfer the FSMO roles to the
second DC, then demote DC1 and then re-install the OS, this would also
allow you to upgrade the distro.

Rowland