[Samba] upgrading AD DC and rejoin recommendation

L. van Belle belle at samba.org
Wed Sep 11 07:40:37 UTC 2019

Good morning/evening guys,

Great, i like what im reading.
This all is exactly why im saying, make a programs that handles these
upgrades independend from the samba version.

Almost all the code you guys need is already there. Having is this way is
really a major advantage.
It makes patching the samba-ad-db must better. To bad is, i cant code it for
you guys :-(

If i may suggest one more options for such a program.
Give it an "patch/import" function, what i mean by that..

For example, i still have some old bug small things going on in my AD-DB.
Think in, like incorrect SPN or missing SPN's, at least nothing i can
handle.
But there are more of these small anonances, these, are for sernet
subscriptions.
This is also where sernet can make some extra $.

It is fair to have the regular upgrade through opensource, but specal
upgrades through supported chanels.
Yes.. Im also thinking in making a buck for sernet, somewhere, someday,
someone needs to make some money..
Sernet could not exist without it, simple.

Now, if we have small AD-DB patches and place these somewhere on the samba
site (ftp), you could
Use that for the samba-upgrade-db program, make a query to the site and list
the
patches, this way you can also apply patches to an database that normaly
only possible while upgrading.

My other arguments on why i would really really like this and why adding a
new AD-DC is in most case just not welkom.
This is also why i'm always upgrading my DB and not setting up a new
servers, it is just to much hassle.

I did have about 40 printers, all connection over ldap to the hostnames of
the ad-dc's.
yeah i know, i should have use aliases here, but i didnt, and most guys dont
do that,
Simply because the dont know who/why, or are missing needed PTR records,
ldap/kerberos its auth is failing etc.
We as samba dev's talk lots of samba but we all know much more is involved.
And because of that you cant not "just replace" an AD-DC, that takes time,
planning and for smaller networks,
people just cant afford is to have an, 100$ per hour, IT guy coming around
because of samba needs an upgrade.
And that was only about the printers, now think othere devices,, think in a
even larger network.
Adding a new DC is not (alway) the best cost effciant thing todo and not
everyone is haveing spare servers/room todo that.

For me, currently, i dont do anything on my DC's, i trust the current
process that much,
that my complete DC's  are running fully unattended upgrades and if needed
with kernels and reboots.
Only if i add/remove packages from samba in my packages then the upgrade
process is stalled and i must manualy verify it.
Which is good, because if things get added or removed i must know that.

This is running almost a year now without any errors.
That shows how important it is to keep track of samba updates, which is a
big part of why i started to build the packages..

So in complete of what i suggested with an upgrade program it should also to
be able to handle.
- test upgrade ( make off/online backups ) upgrade that database, verify it.
- inplace upgrades of ad-dc, only runs after the test is successfull.
  ! And make testing the upgrade obligated, where its needed.
   This will prevent that a full AD-DB gets lots in errors.

- if the test fails, and we needs a patch for it, get the patch list, use a
small patch first before and big inplace upgrade is done.
Get the patches from :
	- for example from site.
	- from server and show patches from "detected" version of the
provisioning.
	- special patch supplied by sernet if you have a sernet
subscription.

We can use the data which already there.
Like : oEMInformation: Provisioned by SAMBA 4.1.17-SerNet-Debian-10.wheezy
So if all we need here is, show database upgrades as of version X.y.x
And apply the upgrades in the correct order.

If upgrade is done, tag/add a new field to the server it own AD record and
add field upgraded-to (X.Y.Z).

I really think this is the best way to keep database upgrades safe and this
allows
and easy fix if you misses the other samba upgrades.

But i love you guys for at least having a look at this, it will help lots of
people.

Im just trowing in more info and ideas so you guys minds gets a spin around
for the best setup.
:-)

Greetz,

Louis