[Samba] AD Schema Upgrade

Andre Kirchhoff andre at rauh.net
Tue Sep 10 14:35:02 UTC 2019

> Em 9 de set de 2019, à(s) 11:39, Max Serafini via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> escreveu:
>
> Hi
>
> I wonder if anyone can help.
>
> I am trying to upgrade the schema version.  Current environment:
>
> Two domain controllers both running samba 4.7.6 - Ubuntu package
>
> Version: objectVersion: 44 (server 2008)
>
> According to samba docs, 'samba-tool domain schemaupgrade' only works from
> 2008 R2 version 47.  For earlier it says: 'the ldf files must be manually
> sourced from the Windows adprep tool and run with the --ldf-file= option'
>
> Any recommendations / suggestions on how to do that?  Right now there's no
> windows DC on the network.

Hi Max!

Not a schema expert by any definition and not sure what you’re trying to add/modify, but I do it using .ldif files with ldb-tools ('apt install ldb-tools' if you don’t have it):

ldbadd -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb [filename].ldif --option="dsdb:schema update allowed"=true
ldbmodify -H /var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb mod [filename].ldif --option="dsdb:schema update allowed”=true

I strongly recommend you test this on a same spec fresh/test DC before applying on production and mandatory “you should upgrade your samba” since 4.7 is EOL. :)

Hope it helps.

André….