[Samba] smbldap-showuser and ldapsearch can't show groups user belongs to.

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Fri Sep 6 19:14:53 UTC 2019

Quick-n-easy questions:

Let's say user raub is added to group nosy using smbldap-groupmod

smbldap-groupmod -m raub nosy

Now, according to ol' ldapsearch,

ldapsearch -vvv -H "ldaps://ldap.example.com" -D
"uid=admin,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com" -W -b "dc=example,dc=com" -s
sub "(cn-nosy)"

group nosy has a dn attribute that looks like this

dn: cn=nosy,ou=PosixGroups,dc=example,dc=com

ldapsearch even lists the memberUid for each member in said group. So
far so good. However, when I ask ldapsearch to tell me about raub,

ldapsearch -vvv -H "ldaps://ldap.example.com" -D
"uid=admin,ou=People,dc=example,dc=com" -W -b "dc=example,dc=com" -s
sub "(uid=raub)"

It will give me lots of exciting info about said user but not a single
memberOf attribute. The same goes for smbldap-showuser.  Is there
anything I might have misconfigured here? Incidentally, if I do "id
raub", I get the list of non local groups said user belongs to,
including nosy.