[Samba] How to Change UIDs

Tyrus Shivers tyrus.shivers at bestgateeng.com
Fri Sep 6 14:56:32 UTC 2019

On Fri, Sep 6, 2019 at 2:55 AM Rowland penny via samba <
samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 05/09/2019 22:45, Roy Eastwood wrote:
> > Rowland,
> > I must be missing something here.  Why can't the OP set the UID in ADUC
> to match that required in the other system?  The Samba
> > Domain member can use the ad backend, (rather than the rid), and no
> doubt file permissions will have to be readjusted accordingly,
> > but at least the UID's will match the other system.   The Windows DC
> doesn't care about the RFC2307 attributes, so that shouldn't be
> > affected.
> >
> It all depends on your definition of 'UID' ;-)
>
> The OP is using the winbind 'rid' backend and as such, is unlikely to
> have uidNumber & gidNumber attributes in AD. He also hasn't told us just
> what he is trying to connect to.

I am trying to connect to a shared drive ( I believe it is Windows based)
on another Domain which we have access to (created by their admins) which
has different UID for our users that match their authenticating source.
Since all of these networks are closed, I am limited to what I can do in
terms of just opening them up for access, etc.  Our linux vm's cannot mount
that share because we do not have permissions and that is because the UID
is different.

> Just changing what 'id' or 'getent'  produces is unlikely to be enough
> if he is trying to connect from one AD domain to another e.g. changing a
> user in the 'SAMDOM' domains UID from 1234 to 4321 would still make the
> user a member of the 'SAMDOM' domain, but it would make the user a new
> user.

I did make attempts at the previously and you are correct it does not work
properly.

> What I also cannot understand why he cannot sort this out himself, try
> going to 'www.bestgateeng.com'

I am not sure what you mean or are referring to by that statement. This
system was passed off to me, I have no access to the previous admins or
documentation on how and why everything is setup the way it is. After
exhausting what I know I came here to ask a question to see if I perhaps
missed something.

> Rowland
>

> --

V/R
Tyrus Shivers
Bestgate Engineering LLC
Direct: (410) 872-2457
tyrus.shivers at bestgateeng.com

<tyrus.shivers at bestgateeng.com>
This e-mail transmission and any documents, files or previous e-mail
messages attached to it, may be privileged and confidential and is intended
only for the use of the intended recipient of this message.  If you are not
the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure,
retention, copying, dissemination, distribution or use of any of the
information contained in, or attached to this e-mail transmission is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error,
please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail or by telephone at
the above number and delete this e-mail message and its attachments.