[Samba] Samba Share with user and no password

L.P.H. van Belle belle at bazuin.nl
Fri Sep 6 10:11:06 UTC 2019

Hai,

Just setup as the wiki is showing for a standalone setup. That works fine.

What your trying todo is possible, but i always results in problem, at least to easy..
A Windows update/samba update can trigger that.
Think in "cached" auths and/or passthrough auth of windows.

You pc is trying to auth with (PCNAME\)user pass
You standalone server is trying to use : user but pass is always wrong.

So read this again, setup the shares as shown and test it so it fits your environment.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server

Or open the server and allow guest in full order.

I wont advice anything else because your setup is going straigh against all current things
happening at samba or windows or anything authentication related.
... Allowing guests or passwordless access.

Why i say this... Because sure i might run fine in the end now, but i'll bet within 3-6 months
You have problems you most probely are not able to fix due to coming changes.
And then its again, fiddeling with settings..

But thats my opionion.

Greetz,

Louis